So, you’re thinking about selling your home and you know that there are some cosmetic issues that need to be addressed before you list. Making the necessary upgrades and adjustments doesn’t have to break the bank. If you’re on a budget, there are many ways to spruce up your home that cost very little, especially if you’re willing to roll up your sleeves and do-it-yourself!
Here are our top tips for prepping your home for sale if you’re on a budget:
First, you should start outside and work your way in. You might even want to ask a neighbour or a friend for their opinion on what they think stands out most about the home, for better or worse. They might be able to point out certain things that are obvious that you may be overlooking because you see your home every day.
When it comes to the exterior of your home, some simple and cost-effective things you can do to improve the curb appeal include:
- Keep the lawn neatly mowed
- Wash exterior windows
- Paint the front door and replace old, worn hardware
- A new welcome mat
- Paint the house numbers
- A new porch light fixture
As for the interior of the home, there are also a lot of things you can tackle DIY style on the cheap, or hire someone to do for a reasonable price. Some things to consider for the interior include:
- Decluttering personal belongings
- Cleaning – bigger projects like carpet can sometimes be steam cleaned instead of being replaced altogether
- Re-facing kitchen cabinets and updating hardware
- A new kitchen faucet
- Consider re-grouting tile countertop, or replacing with an attractive more cost-effective material like quartz
- Paint interior walls in soft, neutral colours (tackled on your own, this can save you a lot of money if you are able to dedicate the time)
- Consider replacing toilet and vanity if stained or outdated
- New light fixtures
- A new shower curtain and bath rug
- Consider having the tub refinished instead of replacing it
If you’d like more information on this topic, have suggestions for future blog posts, or just want to chat real estate, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us today: Jacob@soldbyjacob.com!